Last Day in Mumbai

Today was my last day in Mumbai. I started it like my first day in Mumbai by beginning my tossing and turning around 3:30am. It was going to be a long day with our flight to Germany scheduled for 2:55am the following morning. Andreas and I met for breakfast like usual at 8am and left for the office around 9am.

Passing the tuk tuk garage on the way to the office

There are several small storefronts that look like this along the way. 

I spent the morning with the new team we are standing up at the provider. They have been receiving guidance and feedback from Joachim the whole time. I had interjected some points the last several days, but this time it was all up to me.

We wrapped up the final day with an impromptu major incident response when the main building in Leverkusen experienced a power outage. It was a good chance for the provider to see how Incident Management actually happens and to obtain some critical feedback about how to improve their response to such an incident.

Andreas was leaving the office early to go out to a final dinner with some of the provider staff. I had been invited out to dinner by two of the provider staff I have known since my first day at Bayer. We took a cab together to a restaurant near my hotel where the three of us had a chance to talk without the pressure of being at work or the barrier of a phone or Skype chat for the first time in two years. It was a great bonding experience and something that can only happen face-to-face.

Two of the people I've known longest from the provider, Amar and Aditya

After dinner I finished packing and at 11pm Andreas and I checked out of the hotel and left for the airport. Mumbai airport is one of the largest I've ever seen, and I was only witness to the International terminal. Like everything in India there was a clear class structure in place with completely separate check-in and security lines for First and Business class passengers.

The highlight of the night though was the fact that I would be flying on the Boeing 747 for the first time ever! On top of that I had a seat in the upper deck!

My first flight on a 747, I got to ride in the upper deck!

The flight to Frankfurt went well. I was able to grab a couple hours sleep before settling in to watch Dunkirk. The woman who was seated next to me was having trouble with her seat before I went to sleep. When I woke up I found she had been moved somewhere else and I had the row to myself. We arrived in Germany around 7:20am. More on that in the next post...

Comments